Mystic Sisterhood

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mystic Sisterhood

Psychic, Paranormal & Natural Science Forums

Next Chat Event

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls 5nvklj

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls 9tpt39

2 posters

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls

Cloud
    Cloud
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Other / Decline to state Zodiac : Capricorn Posts : 4790
    Times User Thanked: : 939

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls Empty The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls

Post by Cloud Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Sharing as I think these are great craft ideas for children and can also come in handy if you have a child who is anxious or not sleeping well.( Just be careful with choking hazards as these are usually quite small and fragile/easily broken by younger children peace

--------------------------------------
    According to the tradition of the Mayans from the Guatemalan highlands, when children are scared or have nightmares, they give them worry dolls before they go to sleep. Then, they put them under the pillow, and when they wake up, their worries are gone.

Worry dolls are incredible pieces of a traditional Guatemalan legend. According to this legend, the exact origin of which is unknown, the doll worries about the problem instead of the person, allowing the person to sleep peacefully.

So when the person wakes up, the doll will have relieved all of the concerns that would normally keep them awake. The worries stay with the doll, which will have to be caressed to prevent it from being in pain.

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls Guatemalan-worry-dolls

Image Source

“Worry dolls take away my suffering. I whisper my worries to them very quietly and they silently heal me of them. And under my pillow they sleep, and if I have a problem, without the doll I would wake up. Me, who never believed in amulets or sorcery. What am I doing telling dolls my sorrows?”

-Tontxu-

A beautiful and tender tradition to relieve your worries

Although there are many different types, worry dolls tend to measure between 10 and 20 millimeters. They’re made by hand using a base of wood or wire. The face is usually made of cotton, cardboard, or clay, and the clothing can be made with wool or aguayo, a traditional Guatemalan cloth.

In Guatemalan culture, these little figures were originally intended to alleviate children’s nighttime anxiety, but today it’s also common for adults to use them. They’re usually kept in boxes or cloth bags in groups of 6, one for each day of the week, giving them the option to rest for a day. They usually come with the following instructions:
    •Concentrate on your concerns or problems when you go to bed.
    •Tell the doll what you want them to take away.
    •Put the doll under the pillow.
    •Caress the doll’s tummy a few times so that your sorrows don’t hurt it, and in the morning, they’ll have disappeared!

The dolls are used as dreamcatchers and amulets, offering you a chance to unload your daily suffering in a natural way. This beautiful tradition promotes a very healthy psychological habit that everyone should try to achieve every day: releasing your mind of your preoccupations so you can sleep soundly.

Physically transferring your worries and sorrows onto the doll one by one, even though it’s imaginary, can be a very useful way to manage your anxiety over your problems. It also makes you feel like you have the power to manage your anxiety and prevent insomnia.

Source/Credit/ Continued

Quality over quantity.✌️
    Dragon
    Dragon
    Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

Times User Thanked: : 1256

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls Empty Re: The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls

Post by Dragon Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:19 am

The idea of a child's doll as a lasting keepsake is not really traditional in a lot of Indian tribes. Dolls were usually made of perishable materials like cornhusk, palmetto fiber, or bundled pine needles; even dolls that were made out of wood or leather were not often built to last the way adult crafts were.

In many tribes it was considered inappropriate to discipline a very young child, so they simply weren't given toys they weren't allowed to chew on and throw in the river.

And in some tribes, the impermanence of children's dolls and toys was meaningful to parents-- as corn dolls and other childhood things naturally fell apart with time, it showed that a girl was growing up.

Even though Native American dolls were not traditionally made to last, they were often beautifully adorned with miniature doll clothing and jewelry, beadwork or painting, and animal fur or even hair from the mother's head.

Because native adornment and decorative patterns are so distinctive, handmade Indian dolls are distinctive as well, and today many people, adults and children alike, like to keep them as cultural collectibles as well as toys.

Source

Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls Empty Re: The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls

Post by Dragon Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:22 am

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls Ae564a99b99d7b79d37ad683d03b788a--native-american-art-native-art

Apache Shaman Spirit Doll

" 'Grandmother Shaman' guides with the ancient wisdom and practical knowledge, ever the kindest of souls, ever the most helpful, a quieting and soothing presence." - Cynthia Whitehawk

Ancient talismans against all negativity and evil. Embody those who have gone before, representing their strengths, positive energies, and beautiful Spirit.

Source / Image Courtesy

Last edited by Dragon on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

Post by Dragon Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:28 am

The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls SD-57-raven-2

Apache Grandmother Shaman Raven Dream Keeper Spirit

"Raven Dream Keeper is keeper of the eternal flame of life, Medicine Healing Spirit, Spirit of the Bird Clans." - Cynthia Whitehawk

Source / Image Courtesyp

Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Cloud Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Dragon wrote:The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls Ae564a99b99d7b79d37ad683d03b788a--native-american-art-native-art

Apache Shaman Spirit Doll

" 'Grandmother Shaman' guides with the ancient wisdom and practical knowledge, ever the kindest of souls, ever the most helpful, a quieting and soothing presence." - Cynthia Whitehawk

Ancient talismans against all negativity and evil. Embody those who have gone before, representing their strengths, positive energies, and beautiful Spirit.

Source / Image Courtesy

These are so beautiful, thanks for sharing Dragon heartbeat heartbeat
    I love the ideas of them using mothers/grandmothers hair. Nice little keepsakes.

Quality over quantity.✌️
    Cloud
    Cloud
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Cloud Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Dragon wrote:The Legend of Guatemalan Worry Dolls SD-57-raven-2

Apache Grandmother Shaman Raven Dream Keeper Spirit

"Raven Dream Keeper is keeper of the eternal flame of life, Medicine Healing Spirit, Spirit of the Bird Clans." - Cynthia Whitehawk

Source / Image Courtesyp

❤ ❤

Quality over quantity.✌️

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:06 pm