Mystic Sisterhood

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mystic Sisterhood

Psychic, Paranormal & Natural Science Forums

Next Chat Event

First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found 5nvklj

First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found 9tpt39

First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found

Dragon
    Dragon
    Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

Times User Thanked: : 1256

First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found Empty First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found

Post by Dragon Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:34 am

New observations with the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope (ESO's VLT) indicate that the rogue comet 2I/Borisov, which is only the second and most recently detected interstellar visitor to our Solar System, is one of the most pristine ever observed.

Astronomers suspect that the comet most likely never passed close to a star, making it an undisturbed relic of the cloud of gas and dust it formed from.

Continued...

Source

Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found Empty Re: First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found

Post by Dragon Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:36 am

First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found Firstinterst
    Credit: ESO/O. Hainaut

This image was taken with the FORS2 instrument on ESO's Very Large Telescope in late 2019, when comet 2I/Borisov passed near the Sun.

Since the comet was travelling at breakneck speed, around 175 000 kilometres per hour, the background stars appeared as streaks of light as the telescope followed the comet's trajectory.

The colours in these streaks give the image some disco flair and are the result of combining observations in different wavelength bands, highlighted by the various colours in this composite image.

Source / Image Courtesy

Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found Empty Re: First interstellar comet may be the most pristine ever found

Post by Dragon Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:38 am

NASA Reveals Alien Composition of 2I/Borisov, 1st Interstellar Comet

When amateur astronomer Gennady Borisov discovered an interstellar comet zipping through our solar system on Aug. 30, 2019, scientists promptly turned their telescopes toward it hoping to catch a glimpse of this rare and ephemeral event.

After all, no one had ever set eyes on a confirmed comet from a foreign star system, and it was clear from its projected trajectory that the alien visitor, named 2I/Borisov, would soon disappear from the sky forever.

The comet was near its closest approach to Earth at about 180 million miles, or nearly 300 million kilometers, away.

When the scientists peeked inside the halo of gas that formed around the comet as it came closer to the Sun and its ices began to vaporize, they detected something peculiar: 2I/Borisov was releasing gas with a greater concentration of carbon monoxide (CO) than anyone had detected in any comet at a similar distance from the Sun (within less than 186 million miles, or 300 million kilometers).

2I/Borisov’s CO concentration was estimated to be between nine and 26 times higher than that of the average solar system comet.

Until more interstellar comets are observed, this result raises more questions than it answers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 am