Mystic Sisterhood

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mystic Sisterhood

Psychic, Paranormal & Natural Science Forums

Next Chat Event

Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn  5nvklj

Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn  9tpt39

3 posters

Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn

Cloud
    Cloud
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Other / Decline to state Zodiac : Capricorn Posts : 4780
    Times User Thanked: : 924

Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn  Empty Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn

Post by Cloud Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 am

NHS figures show antidepressant prescriptions in England doubled in the last decade, with more than 70 million handed out in 2018.

By Katie Spencer, news reporter (sky news)

Long-term antidepressant users are risking permanent damage to their bodies, according to leading medical experts.

Dr Tony Kendrick, a professor of primary care at the University of Southampton, says more urgent action needs to be taken to encourage and support long-term users to come off the medication.

"By the time we find out what the effects of long term use are it may be too late to help those people, the effects could be permanent.

"If it does cause an increased risk of stroke or seizures or effect on the kidneys, these things may only come to light as you get older and it may be very difficult to treat those."

Antidepressants are meant to be taken for nine months for a first episode of depression and for a maximum of two years for those experiencing further episodes. But increasingly more of us are staying on them for longer.

NHS figures show that antidepressant prescriptions in England doubled in the last decade. More than 70 million were handed out in 2018.

Dr Kendrick says: "If you're at risk of recurrent relapsing depression, then you may well benefit from taking antidepressants long term, but beyond two years there's not a lot of evidence it's keeping you well after that."

"We're seeing some of the longer-term side effects. Generally most people are okay on them but a few people can get bleeding from the stomach, they can get bleeding in the brain so they get strokes, they can get epileptic fits.

Dr Kendrick said scientists are not exactly sure how the antidepressants work and therefore what long-terms effects they might have.

Some long-term users have accused the medical community of dismissing or downplaying withdrawal symptoms, which can include anxiety, pain, palpitations, insomnia and brain zaps and last anywhere from months through to years.

While there are many patients who don't experience problems coming off SSRIs (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors), others can suffer extreme and longer-lasting effects prompting some to restart their medication either because the pain is intolerable or out of concern that it's a sign that their depression is coming back.

Dr Joanna Moncrieff, a senior clinical lecturer at University College London, believes the severity and duration of withdrawal symptoms should be seen as an "indication that the drug has changed the body" in a way that could be long- lasting.

"We know that with some other drugs, like antipsychotics for example, they can change the brain in an irreversible way that does not go away.

"The fact that antidepressant withdrawal can be so prolonged suggests that the drug has changed the brain and that those changes are taking a very long time to return to normal and it may be the case that sometimes they don't go back to normal."

Full Article:

Source

Quality over quantity.✌️
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    Renaud
    Renaud
    Loyal Member
    Loyal  Member

Times User Thanked: : 46

Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn  Empty Re: Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn

Post by Renaud Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:52 pm

It's so common ...how do we fight it ....it's hard to stick around with people especially I feel challenged cause I start caring and I even receive certain messages for them and I can't really convey because I shouldn't since they are not prepared , I still give it a chance and become protective too....because either don't want them to get hurt and it becomes all a mess, the biggest being in the relationship gets hurt .
    They don't understand my stand ,I do t blame them but can anyone help from their experience ....
    We can't afford to cut off our friends ....niether can we let them depend on us cause it gets too much at times ....

Sent from Topic'it App
    Renaud
    Renaud
    Loyal Member
    Loyal  Member

Times User Thanked: : 46

Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn  Empty Re: Long-term use of antidepressants could cause permanent damage, doctors warn

Post by Renaud Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:52 pm

Depression is these circumstances are quite obvious ....I don't want to relate to this term in my entire lifetime

Sent from Topic'it App
    Cloud
    Cloud
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Other / Decline to state Zodiac : Capricorn Posts : 4780
    Times User Thanked: : 924

Post by Cloud Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:32 pm

The problem with antidepressants is that well....
    For one, not every case of depression is clinical depression (The whole idea that serotonin levels are low) sometimes depression is caused by situations in our lives like a loss of a friend or loved one or when we are stressed over something like a sense of failure or loss....
    I feel like doctors hand out anti depressants like sweets sometimes. There's no true way of being able to test what's going on in someone's brain with their dopamine, serotonin , it's a bit of a guessing game and I've witnessed the damage that psychiatric meds can do. 'm not saying that everyone should stop taking them .. I just wish doctors would warn people of the risks before they prescribe them out.

Doctors make the judgement on whether risks outweigh the benefits but it should be discussed with the patient.. ie.. I can give you these (meds) but there's a slight chance of dementia with prolonged use, or, it can cause birth defects or arrhythmias.. and patient should be able to decide

There are many parents in the UK who are trying to ban sertraline being prescribed to young people, after so many deaths , they are finally noticing that there's increased risk of arrhythmia and heart disturbances in younger people

Sertraline linked to deaths
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They Cause 40,000 Deaths a Year - But They're Handed Out Like Candy

AntiDepAware – Promoting awareness of the dangers o anti depressantsf ...

Quality over quantity.✌️

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm