All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input 5nvklj

All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input 9tpt39

All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input

Dragon
Dragon
Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator

Times User Thanked: : 216

All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input Empty All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input

Post by Dragon on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:01 pm

These insects seem to have dispensed entirely of the need for males and their sperm.

At only a few millimeters in length, their soft, doughy bodies numbered in the thousands. Even under the microscope, the males and females were just barely distinguishable, but Toshihisa Yashiro had already begun to count. Hundreds of termites into the census, Yashiro’s doubts finally began to disappear—there wasn’t a single male to be found.

Today, in the journal BMC Biology, Yashiro’s research team reports the discovery of naturally-occurring all-female termite colonies in the southern regions of Japan, representing the first-known asexual termite populations in the world.

Continued...
Source

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator

Times User Thanked: : 216

All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input Empty Re: All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input

Post by Dragon on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:03 pm

All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input Istock-529352287
(chyball/iStock)

Ants and honey bees have been observed reproducing without males before, and now all-female termite colonies join the asexual group.

Source / Image Courtesy

Admin

Female Zodiac : Capricorn Posts : 3981
Times User Thanked: : 161

All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input Empty Re: All-Female Termite Colonies Reproduce Without Male Input

Post by Cloud on Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:47 am

I love this, it's fascinating lol

So I honestly thought the same applied for all animals the xx&yy male and female chorosomes needed to reproduce but this is just something else

I read a lot of strange things online but this is something I need to look into more, i'm too curious for my own good  happyface :goodposting:
Thanks for sharing, Dragon. This board is great, really interesting
hugs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:33 pm