Mystic Sisterhood

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mystic Sisterhood

Psychic, Paranormal & Natural Science Forums

Next Chat Event

Deaf World/Histories 5nvklj

Deaf World/Histories 9tpt39

3 posters

Deaf World/Histories

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    Cloud
    Cloud
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Other / Decline to state Zodiac : Capricorn Posts : 4775
    Times User Thanked: : 921

Deaf World/Histories Empty Re: Deaf World/Histories

Post by Cloud Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:59 pm

Intu wrote:When a child is born into this world, it turned out this child does have the ability to hear. So what's next? What we should do is to take that ability away from that child so that child can be deaf like us. How does that make you feel? That is how some Deaf people feel because it's their identity, and they did not want anyone to try and take that away from them.

Hi Intu

Glad you wrote this as it does shed light and help us all to understand being Deaf from your perspective, there's a lot of stigma and I do think even doctors would be asking why (why wouldn't someone want hearing treatments) but we must always remember that we need to take the patient's wishes into account as well. We live in society where we see something not of the norm and we want to somehow 'fix' it , but like you say, some people don't want to change themselves, even their hearing.. it's how you were born and I do and always have stuck to the idea that we are all born perfect, even if not everything works as it should, even if you don't have all fingers and toes and whatnot, life is beautiful, when we are born, we are pure, perfect, at least in my eyes

My baby was born with differences. I wont call them deformities because they are not, they are just not of the norm, the usual, i'll stick to differences. Whilst most people would have seen her head/eyes and thought wow, that's horrible, she was the most beautiful perfect thing to me, and I still see it that way with others who have differences, like your inability to hear like we do

Intu wrote:In Catholic Tradition, the view that deaf people cannot be Christians
    Wow, I never knew or heard of this, really? that's appalling, i'm lost for words and so sorry to read that, makes me sad to think we could be so stupid to look down upon a deaf person and exclude them from our religious groups like that. Awful.

Intu wrote:The Judaic heritage in the Old Testament appeared to stress the important of tolerance toward deaf people insisting that they, like others, were God's children

I agree, everyone is a child of God, like I said i'm not religious, I follow spirituality , but everyone is from the same life-source, everyone is born 'pure' , whole, everyone is deserving of love from a young age, to be nurtured, cared for, included.. and I hate disability stigmas so so much.

Intu wrote:I cannot help but wondering... if this is one of the reasons why our society......the way they are today?
    Sadly it is, and I believe as parents and mother/father figures we must make it a priority now to be sure our children and younger ones in our families are not judgemental like this, we could change it, one person at a time. Not even children, some adults could also do with a blunt reminder that they could have been born deaf, or missing a limb, and wheelchair bound and so on. It can happen to any of us, we need to be grateful for all we have whilst we do, and we need to look out for those who are targeted and vulnerable, we need to talk to the children and remind them we are all the same, whether we can hear or not, see or not, walk or not

Intu wrote:
    Now, you can see why I choose to talk a lot about intuition because I feel this is SO important! When I follow my intuition, it was truly magical! That is why I am learning how to listen and go within, not having someone else to tell me otherwise!

Yes we can all see that clearly and i'm glad you do speak up about it all and educate and remind others, i'm also happy you were able to share this with us, as whilst we can't even imagne what it's like fo you being deaf , it helps us to read your perspective, experiences, so that next time we may meet someone with this , we can relate to them from a place of understanding and compassion for what they are going through and have been through

peace

Quality over quantity.✌️
    Dragon
    Dragon
    Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

Times User Thanked: : 1246

Post by Dragon Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:20 am

Native American Hand Talkers Fight to Keep Sign Language Alive

Hand Talk was also the first language of deaf Natives.

Erasing a culture

By the late 1800s, tens of thousands of Native Americans still used Hand Talk. That changed when the federal government instituted a policy designed to “civilize” tribal people.

Children were removed from their families and sent to government-run boarding schools, where they were forbidden to speak their own languages or practice their own spiritual beliefs. Native Deaf children were sent to deaf residential schools, where they were taught to use American Sign Language (ASL).

Research has shown that Hand Talk is still being used by a small number of deaf and hearing descendants of the Plains Indian cultures.

"Hand Talk is endangered and dying quickly,” said Melanie McKay-Cody, who identifies herself as Cherokee Deaf and is an expert in anthropological linguistics.

McKay-Cody is the first deaf researcher to specialize in North American Hand Talk and today works with tribes to help them preserve their signed languages. She is pushing for PISL to be incorporated into mainstream education of the deaf.

Lanny Real Bird, who is Crow, Arikara and Hidatsa, grew up in a household where PISL was used.

“My grandmother had hearing loss,” he said. “I’d see my father signing with her in the Plains Indian Sign Language. I picked up basic sign language, enough to say, ‘Yes’ or ‘No,’ ‘I’m hungry.”

As a boy, he played with a young relative who was deaf, who helped expand his signing vocabulary.

Source

Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

Post by Dragon Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:21 am

Real Bird, a former instructor at Montana's Little Big Horn College, has worked for 20 years helping tribes preserve their languages, both spoken and signed, and has developed a 400 to 600-sign PISL course, which he teaches at community schools and workshops across the Plains states.

Senior Administrator
    Senior Administrator

Post by Dragon Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 am

Deaf World/Histories Resizedimage.php?file=400x300-241bda22c708236c801dc408a32eaf74
    (Photo by Charles M. Bell, circa 1880, courtesy National Anthropological Archives, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.)

Detail of portrait of Shoshoni Chief Tendoi Demonstrating Sign Language.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm